Sunday 7 September 2008

pal-in comparison II

Starting to get annoyed with this... It would seem that I do, in fact, share pretty much the same ethos as Sarah Palin on most of the "big Christian questions" - because (as Governor of Alaska, anyway) her stance on them are not completely extremist (as flagged in this Boston Globe article.) Apart from a case of the hitlers on the issue of health benefits for same sex partners. (I don't take issue with her being opposed to it, but she has actively pursued amending the constitution to bar them.)

I still can't come to like her though: (a) The guns, and (b) she's the meaningless VP candidate anyway, both stand between me and any kind of reconciliation to considering the Republicans as anything more conforming to the a faded stereotype. Was watching Larry King yesterday morning, where he ran a clip of John McCain's speech. On the mention of 'government', the crowd would boo each time - because of course, in the pursuit of privacy rights, Republicans are against big government. The fact that Republicans currently ARE that big government that keep invading people is not something that seemed to filter down to knuckle-head level. But there you go.

As a Christian, can I side with the other guys? Or am I obliged to go with the group that answers the faith-based issues closed to my own liking, even if everything else is poles away? I'm constantly struck by the fact that even though the Democrats probably are the more secular party of the two in the USA, so many of their policies conform with how I feel Christians should be called to live. But there you go, I guess.

----------

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

side the the other guys..?

"Yes You Can!" :)

Pete @mediatree said...

Always makes me feel better to here it from someone more worldly... ;)

Anonymous said...

more worldly !?

in terms of "faith based issues" it seems that its that classic few though.. and also ones assume that christians should be legislating their ethics for an entire country.. I'm not completely convinced!
and then the campaign styles swing it for me..

Pete @mediatree said...

campaign styles? i do like some of the graphics... ;) I know what you mean.

What bothers me is that these "faith-based issues" seem to be the ones that matter more... surely we shouldn't be having conversations about legislating ethics in this sense... surely, if in office and christian, it should be acceptable that ALL decisions on ALL issues are made in that light (without it leading to being inconsiderate or unloving.)

I think that it's interesting that, particularly with the American political divides, it's assumed that all Christians have exactly the same stance on issues - the one that struck me earlier being the same-sex one, but there are others (stem cell being another.)

Ah I've fried my OWN head now.

worldly wasn't really the word I was looking for...

Related posts