Sunday 14 June 2009

reasons to go to church

Great video...



...but I'm not impressed by the message, graphics or intentions alone. I'm impressed because they're from Vegas!

---

EDIT: Ooh-err... this other one sadly hints a bit of Prosperity Gospel... but maybe that's just my mistake.

If you're not sure what I mean by that phrase, the Prosperity Gospel is the idea that, "now I believe in God, Jesus is going to make all things well."

This is such a falsehood I won't even begin to try to expand it - but it's particularly popular in many American churches (see the phenomenally tool-like (I mean that as an elaborate insult) ministry of Joel Osteen, or much of the GOD channel's output. These guys are my brothers and sisters in Christ, but I say that through gritted teeth.) In fact, I'd go as far to say - though this is me saying it - that once you get God, things can be harder than you could ever imagine. I know they have been for me and many I encounter... but if you want to discuss that, we need a couple of sofas and a whole lot of hot chocolate up in here.

I realise the edit is now longer than the original post, so I'll stop. For an interesting, if not completely understandable if you have no faith background, great wee explanation of this notion, check out this video which uses a John Piper soundbite.

---

No comments:

Related posts