Saturday 6 June 2009

going dutch

Only got to see this today: the Netherlands sticking it to a shellshocked England in the first match of the T20 tournament. "Cricket is no longer boring!" reads one Dutch article.

It's been hailed as the greatest day in the history of Dutch cricket. I'm currently reading Netherland by Joseph O'Neill, which is all about a Dutchman playing cricket (sort of. It's not really, but it's the Maguffin and that's enough for me to say that.) I feel this gives me enough of an affinity for the Dutch side to be able to rejoice. That, and they whacked the English.

The Irish have a tricky one against Bangladesh on Monday and a colossal game against the team I predict to win the championship, India, on Wednesday. If they could get past the former and make it to the Super 8 stage it would be a great achievement in itself. But if they fail, I'll be backing the Dutch for their stay in the tournament.

Go on, you Oranje!


---

No comments:

Related posts