Saturday 28 March 2009

F1 preview


A while ago I lost all interest in Formula 1. I've just worked out that it was seven years ago, it would seem: the last season I really followed closely (I shall define this as, 'purposely sitting down weekly to watch the races') was in 2002. Ironically, that season I was pulling for the upstarts that were the bright yellow-and-blue liveried Renault team, fronted by Jenson Button and Jarno Trulli, if memory served. They were exciting but ultimately failed; Schumacher did the business for the title, Button was replaced by Alonso (who would go on to win the Championship in 2005, and develop an ego the size of his house), and I got bored in 2003 and mentally left.

But then a few weeks ago, I heard something very exciting. Former Ferrari guru and motorsporting demi-god, Ross Brawn, announced that he'd bought loveable - but rubbish - Honda Racing, and was entering them this year. I turned to someone at work and said, "He's going to win the lot, you know," and was completely shot down.

Brawn GP came first and second in qualifying yesterday. Jenson Button (he's back, lovely hair and all) is favourite to win the Australian GP. I think I may have to stay away from radio and internet until 1pm tomorrow (Sunday) whenever the race is repeated on d'Telly. In the meantime, check out the BBC's excellent new site for their immersive coverage.

---

No comments:

Related posts