Friday 27 March 2009

buy this boxset


Have just read Empire's Helen O'Hara eulogising on the 'The Ineffable Appeal Of Nathan Fillion' and as a result, I have been reminded of something. And so, I feel the need to make a demand.

Fillion is excellent: having first encountered him as that demented priest in Buffy (remember that guilty pleasure, boys? Good grief, that makes me OLD - I can remember when Sarah Michelle Gellar had a career) I continue to be wonderfully unsurprised as he continues to appear in many of the top TV shows, and the occasional great film, across American television. But the greatest, and most tragic, of all of these, is surely Firefly, a short-lived piece of small-screen magic that anyone who has any kind of soul should indulge in. It's hard to describe what the Joss Whedon's ill-fated labour of love, and arguable work of genius, is really about (it's Sci-Fi, but - I'm told - in a similar way to BattleStar absolutely nothing to do with Sci-Fi, you dig?) But if I had to sum it up, it is in one of the most brilliant phrases any man can hear: cowboys in space.

And it really is; it's basically a western TV series, but they ride quads and drive space ships rather than use horses (although they even do, as part of a storyline involving transporting cattle!) BUY THIS BOXSET. Get it in Blu-Ray if you can - it was one of the first series to be broadcast in complete 1080i HD. Check out the critical appraisal in its wiki entry. If you are disappointed, I'd almost say that heck, I'LL give you you're money back.

But I'm not an ATM, so I won't.

---

No comments:

Related posts