Friday 5 December 2008

viva la vida, or satch and all his riffs

Interesting sidebar on the BBC's Entertainment News today. Guitar hero Joe Satriani is suing Coldplay for plagiarism. Satch reckons that the verse melody from title track Viva La Vida sounds uncannily like one of the movements in his 2004 track If I Could Fly (kicks in about 0:55 into the track). This YouTuber has mashed samples from the two for easier comparison.

Thing is, would Chris and the lads really be that daft? If you're going to rip someone off, why do it with someone who's sold as many records as Satch? Would they not be smart enough to realise someone might catch on?

Whenever I was still writing with MNC, I once discovered I'd plagiarised a Hoobastank song I'd heard maybe only once or twice before, but genuinely hadn't realised that that was where I'd lifted a vocal melody from. We never played the song live, but even if we had I doubt Island Records would have been knocking on my door for compensation...

...let's face it, plagiarism is everywhere.

---------

No comments:

Related posts