Wednesday 11 July 2007

showtime

Have spend the last couple of days gathering up stuff to attempt to hack together my first proper showreel, to highlight what i'm (theoretically!) capable of with film-making. It's a daunting task:

(a) because I've (theoretically) made a huge amount, and
(b) because so much of it is unusable.

Completely unusable. Years ago, when I got the bug and was shown how to hack stuff together by my crazy-ass cousin, we didn't have anything digital - it was done with an uncle's '80s cassette video camera and two VCR's - and lots of mistakes. So that stuff's all out. Later stuff shot on digital but that I only have on VHS - out. Pretty much anything produced using the world's WORST edit software (not including anything that ever came bundled with Windows) Pinnacle Studio (more glitches than... something with a hell of a lot of glitches) - rendered usually in a horrendous low-res. Plus the titles etc. are so bad i can hardly bear to look at most of it myself.

Which has left me with a few things to throw in: all the uni stuff (thankfully backed up as very high-res mpgs and movs over the years - now that's foresight), a couple of shorts from the last year or so (humour level: high. film quality: hmmm...) and I guess I'll bite the bullet and try and use some of the other stuff sparingly. I guess the result will never look like anything beyond a laptop screen or a VHS, but considering my target market, that's probably not the worst evil.

To work!

---------------

I finally got my dirty paws on the glorious Parallels Desktop 3.0 for the MacBook; but I can't yet use it because those expletives at Dell don't see fit to include the Windows XP installation disc (which I believe you've probably paid for, yes?) with the PC when you buy it. So I'm currently trying this procedure... the evil's of dial-up mean it's going to take a couple of days to download XP Service Pack 2 off the Microsoft website though; but I'll write up how this adventure turns out in the end.

[This note's really just for you, Dave, to keep your currently tech-deprived brain ticking over...]

---------------

Finally got a year's worth of analogue film photographs developed this week. Loads of horrendous shots, but got very nostalgic with a few from the COISC's Weekend Retreat from last October.

1 comment:

David Lowry said...

Appreciate it ;) Tech-savvy is not a pre-requisite for camp, but its not too shabby. Wireless just got fixed after a lightning storm banjaxed most of the electrical equipment for a few hours. Putting together a slideshow with the unbeatable (though it could be made perfect in just 170 steps) iPhoto.

Actually it's not as good as it'd like to be; especially as for the most part it subscribes to the mac one-button philosophy. Which is stupid anyway.

Happy time.

Ciao. Look at facebook for photo of my guitar. Look, my posture's getting better to :) lol cya

Related posts