Wednesday 8 October 2008

plain wrong

I'll be honest, I've only ever had a grudging respect for Ruth Gledhill (she is English, after all, and you know how I feel about those people...) but if her current poll about US election nominees is serious, then I have to seriously question her judgement:

Check out 'Who Is The Better Christian 'here .

I'm pretty appalled, for more reasons than I care to even start discussing. It's satire folks, but not as we know it - and I'm pretty liberal! My main issue is that even though she's (hopefully) trying to cause a serious debate in a humourous way, it's a joke that requires you to be in on it to get it. And my fear would be that any non-Christian looking at it is going to go, "oh, my...."

-----------------------------------

2 comments:

Jeremy B said...

I think you miss the real issue. Sarah Palin has badged up her Christianity. Obama has been critised for his and lampooned as a Muslim.

The manner and tone of Sarah Palin is very different from Jesus view. Read a bit of Matthew and find out. I am sick of these Christains who say Lord Lord.

"Then they will reply, 'Lord, when did we see you hungry or thirsty or as a stranger or naked or sick or in prison and didn't help you?'Matthew 25:45.

Funny how this is never dealt with by some who profess its name.

Pete @mediatree said...

I think I get your point, and I agree; I just wish the columnist herself could have maybe highlighted it in a way that was more obviously satirical.

Was recently watching Tony Blair on the Daily Show; Jon Stewart asked him why he thought in the UK, faith and politics don't mix as faith is considered a more personal matter, whereas in the US it has to be declared and worn on the sleeve... his answer wasn't up to much, but the question itself raises a relevant, if obvious, point.

I wonder when US politics became tied with faith? When did the 'religious' right become the most important block of voters? From what I've read, Lincoln was somewhere between atheist and spiritualist whenever he assumed the office, and he was the first Republican elected!

Related posts