Thursday 31 January 2008

loggerheads


Sitting at the back of class, vaguely dazed and recovering from three nights of hardcore logging action. Not the lumberjack variety - more picking and choosing from 14 hours of footage to set up the edit on a project. The irony was, as I realised, that due to other commitments I'm not actually going to get started on the actual edit for four or five days - but because I had to borrow this to do the logging, (DVCAM footage [Edit: In response to Dave's comment, it was all filmed in HDV but is being output as DVCAM and then converted to straight DV PAL for edit, because...]) time was against me.

Which is a pity, because I've spent all week actually really wanting to work on the my PGCE media assignment - something I've actually had quite a lot of trouble finding inspiration for. Still, as the photo above testifies, I've finally got a bit of an idea...

5 comments:

David Lowry said...

surely... surely you of all people know you're not actually using dv cam...

all the best with yer wee project... fancy shooting the hockey on saturday? i can't make it... huge game too. potential season decider against cov

Pete @mediatree said...

surely, surely you of all people... it may have been HDV whenever it was captured, but it's definitely DV by the time it's been downsized, converted and processed by FCP.

David Lowry said...

sorry to do this to you pete... 'dv' is not 'dv cam'

Pete @mediatree said...

sorry to do this to you Dave...

to quote wiki:
"Sony's DVCAM is a professional variant of the DV standard that uses the same cassettes as DV and MiniDV, but transports the tape 50% faster."

Your camera switches between HDV and DVCAM - it even says so in the form of a big logo on the side. Whenever I downconvert the footage out of your camera, it is output as DVCAM - and that's what FCP receives.

I will, however, concede that the comment above - typed whilst in a lecture earlier - might make me sound like a fool. However, DVCAM is a version of DV, so I could haggle over the wording... but I won't cause I've got more photos to doctor.

Pete @mediatree said...

No doubt, however, you have some wonderfully clever way of picking holes in that!

Related posts